Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pass me by

I like to smile at the truth
smile and wave
not anything grand
just one of those little salutes
those private smiles
that are familiar stranger's due

It isn't that we couldn't be
something more than we are
it's just a lot of work
it's secret handshakes
and private jokes
and giving up control

So pass me by
smile and wave
or nod your head
and pretend you know
these words were written
expressly for you

I'd send them your way
but I can't seem to reach you
and don't know they'd touch you
so I'll leave them here
where you might find them
as a reminder

The past catches us up
or catches up to us
and we look for the truth
to tell us what is right
as if it will save us
as if it will set us free

There is truth in my smile
in these lines I made for you
there is truth in my wave
with this last greeting that I leave
these truths belong to you now
and are passing me by

No comments:

Post a Comment