Monday, March 7, 2011

Brother where are you?

We've been through this
a hundred times
a thousand
in all those gaps
in the conversation
in all those breaks
between the lines
in all those absences

Something is missing
and I wonder if it's you
I wonder where you are
and when you left
because I never saw you go
you were just gone
and I followed in your footprints
but I've got bigger feet

I've filled in the outlines
of where you were
with where I've gone
I've superimposed myself
on phantoms of you
and together
we've walked through the world
to come out the other side

I used to be so sure of you
so sure you were a you
someone I could use
to construct a me
so sure that I chased
that fleeting hope
to recognize myself
in the eyes of another

I guess I'm all grown up now
or stupid enough
to want to be a grown up
to want an identity
of my own
there's a long way to go yet
but I know I'll get there
knowing you came this way

1 comment:

  1. Based on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RLwrm82kc

    ReplyDelete